Thursday, April 18, 2013

P is for Progress

How does one mark progress? It's important to find a way to show your progress in both fiction and fitness because it's easy to get focused on the daily struggle and not see the bigger picture. There is a reason it's called a work in progress after all.


Some ways to mark progress:
Journal
Calendar
Blog
Word Count Totals
Widgets
Word of Mouth


There are many options. Just find the one that works best for you. I tried once to do a total year word count on anything I wrote just to see how much I would write in a year. I didn't make it past month 2 on that. It was a method that didn't work for me. I do use progress bars on specific projects, however, and seeing that little green bar helps to motivate me to keep working.


How do you keep track of progress?

2 comments:

Trisha said...

I have a friend who has lost a LOT of weight, and she has struggled with being super impatient to just get it all off NOW. She has to keep reminding herself it's just not going to happen that way.

Dawn Embers said...

Trisha F - That can be tough. I know we like to get change fast but it's better in the long run to go slow. Having a few ways to mark progress more than the scale also helps, different levels to achieve along the way to show how things are improving. Good luck to your friend.

Fun

I write like
Arthur Conan Doyle

I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!

I write like
Mark Twain

I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!