Wednesday, April 8, 2015

G is for Goals

Had a few options today but we'll go with something I post about on occasion and try to do at least once a month, along with other different time frames: goals. I am a big fan of making goals to work towards and it works for both topics. Check out the other G posts in the A to Z challenge.

Goals

They come in handy for many people and work  for different areas in life. Whether it's a general until it gets accomplished goal, monthly or even year long, there are lots of options available. I tend to do many different types over the year in part because it helps give me focus and a deadline, which gives a better chance of something actually getting done.

Fiction

My goals for fiction tend to be based on what I would like to focus my attention on at the moment, which story/draft to try and get done sooner. Since I have so many projects started at any given time, it can be a challenge to make progress. Right now I have blog goals, editing goals and writing goals for April along with a couple longer writing goals and some general projects picked as the focus for 2015. The big goals are to edit the YA novel to submit by summer and writing in a couple different first draft projects.

Fitness

I also do goals for fitness and some of the groups I'm involved with on myfitnesspal involves posting goals for each month or a 12 week period. The goals don't all have to be lifting or fitness but that tends to be the main focus there. Goals can have many different time frames for fitness and can be task specific, weight number focused, or even more general. Right now I'm working on daily protein macros, couch to 5k training, following lifting program and eventually will be hoping to increase certain lifts.

For me, setting goals and often achieving them are a big part of making progress. It also helps to give me focus. While losing weight is important, what has really helped me is to have other goals more geared towards fitness to put effort towards achieving. The numbers are the scale are nice when they go down but it's even better that it's not my only focus. And that has really helped me so far on this journey. It's working so far, now I need to get my writing back in gear and these goals will be accomplished.

Do you have any goals? What types of goals do you make?

1 comment:

S. L. Hennessy said...

I have SO many writing goals, and sometimes they feel unattainable. But still, they're goals none the less.

Good luck with the 2015 A to Z Challenge!
A to Z Co-Host S. L. Hennessy
http://pensuasion.blogspot.com

Fun

I write like
Arthur Conan Doyle

I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!

I write like
Mark Twain

I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!