Monday, April 20, 2015

Q is for Quest

The Impossible Dream, also known as the Quest, is a feat worth typing and traveling. Whether fighting a dragon windmill or finding the basin/helmet, there are many quests out there we can take or in some cases, consume.  Check out the other Q topics over at the A to Z Challenge.


mmm Quest. hehe

Fitness

This time we will go with fitness first cause it's fun. Quest was an easy pick for Q day because often times when one is focusing on improving their health and fitness, they are on a quest in some ways. Making goals is another way to put it too but I almost think I need to call my goals quests from now on. It sounds more fun to say my quest is to kayak, instead of my goal. hmmm

A single trek through the mountains can also qualify both as fitness and a quest, even if there is no destination or promise of finding gold coins. Sometimes the experience of the journey is worth taking the steps.

As you can see from above, there is also Quest nutrition, as it's the name of a company that makes protein bars and other similar supplements. I do actually like the protein bars and a couple times a week, they help me reach my protein goals for the day since I'm trying to get around 90 grams of protein per day. I don't have them more often, nor have I tried some of the other products because I technically have a mild dairy allergy. I limit all dairy products to just a couple of days a week in order to cut back the risk of itching all over for a couple of weeks at a time. But the other products do seem appealing and they even have the protein powder in single servings. It's nice to have ways to try protein powders instead of needing to by huge gallons at a time.

Fiction

Fiction and quest go hand in hand as well. Fantasy is well known for its use of the quest as a main plot that has created many different stories. The reasons all differ depending on the characters, world and conflicts, but often times there will be a quest involved. I can think of a few quests in my own writing, for example.

In sci-fi story, one character goes on a quest to save his boyfriend knowing no agency will be able to help him as the villain wants to use him for his genetic mutation.

In fantasy young adult story, I have a character who is on a quest to discover his real identity, find out why he can't pass the mage test and to just survive as others seek him out for their own uses.

In a romance novel, I have a character who is on a quest to not just get laid but have the courage to build a relationship with the guy he first falls for from near the beginning.

It works for many different genres and it's up to us, the writer, in order to give those challenges to our characters.

Do you give your characters a quest? What is your quest?

1 comment:

Shonna Slayton said...

I like the idea of calling a goal a Quest! Much more exciting.

Fun

I write like
Arthur Conan Doyle

I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!

I write like
Mark Twain

I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!