Saturday, April 25, 2015

V is for Victory

But not so much for doing blog posts beforehand like I had planned back in March. Nope, I have some other victory aspects in mind for the V day in the A to Z challenge.



Fiction

There are different victories in writing fiction. Some are for the writer and others are found within the stories themselves as sometimes we let characters succeed/win. Just writing the story is a victory. I remember my first time making it to 50k for NaNoWriMo. That was quite the victory though now it can't even compete with the 155k and 165k years. Doing a rewrite or edit is also a victory. In fact, sometimes just working on the story for like 200 words can count as victory for the writer. It's all in how you look at success and progress.

Characters can have victories too and it doesn't just have to be at the end either. Much like how it is useful to increase the conflict and have it develop throughout the whole story instead of dropping just one major problem on the characters all at once near the very end, it's also useful to let there be varying amounts of success along the way. Giving the characters set backs and victories (no matter how big or small) help to move the story along and also give the reader hope of what may come in the end.

Fitness

There are many different victories on the road to health and fitness. Some of them are measurable by scales or other devices. These are ones like weight, body fat percentage, and other measurements that people use to track success. I'm working on all of them as I've lost just over 50 lbs, inches have gone down and I hope to some day get a dexa scan for a more accurate body fat measurement. However, the number victories aren't the only ones to focus on in fitness.

Some of the victories I enjoy even more than seeing that device in the bathroom change numbers are types known as NSV (non-scale victories). In particular, I would call them: I can't believe I did it. These are things like: "wow, I jogged 22 whole minutes" and "I deadlifted 200 lbs for 4 reps, that is more than my own weight." There are many things we do that once might have been less possible when working on fitness. Each one is awesome and I can't wait to find more victories along the way.


Victory if mine! I mean, what was your most recent victory?

1 comment:

SpacerGuy said...

Your victory is right around the corner, never give up, never surrender! friends! Woo Hoo!!!

Fun

I write like
Arthur Conan Doyle

I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!

I write like
Mark Twain

I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!