Tuesday, April 28, 2015

X is for Xena

Yep, that's right. Time to find something to talk about that uses the letter X and somehow relates to both writing and fitness. Woot. Check out the other blogs in the A to Z challenge in order to see other X topics. Bet I'm not the only one who picked Xena this year.

Xena, Warrior Princess

Yep, that's the one. I did watch some of the show growing but though I have to admit that I didn't see very many and only had a passing interest overall. I know a few people who really liked the show though and the character in particular. Let's get into the two topics for today...

Fiction

One of  the main elements I liked of the show was the story involved. There were some interesting episodes and the character dynamics were entertaining. It's a good example of fiction that included fantasy elements along with lots of action. I liked the friend characters a little more at times, Gabrielle, which oddly the same goes for Buffy as I saw a couple but thought the friend (Willow) was cute. hmm  Anyways, as for fiction writing we can learn a lot from this show and it has inspired some of my stories (along with the strong female YA books I read growing up).

While I write mostly m/m fiction, including YA. I have two fantasy novels that have a female main character. One of them is a raven warrior, or wants to be but girls don't get trained. That story is probably my nod to characters like Xena and Alanna.

Though I should try watching an episode some time to look at the action. That's something I want to work on in my own writing.

Fitness

Xena had to be fit in order to do the many things she did in the show, and to wear the outfit. Fantasy does have strange fashion for female warriors as they seem to do battle well with minimal clothes at times.  Not the point. One can have inspirations for fitness that are fictional and for some, the thought of being a physically strong woman like Xena, is a good source of inspiration.

I want to learn some form of combat, preferably hand to hand though it would be interesting to get into some weapon handling. I don't know when I will do it, but maybe in the next year or two. Right now I'm working on getting strong in the gym and lifting those weights. Though, I probably won't be trying to follow the same fashion sense when I do. hehe


Have you ever seen Xena Warrior Princess? What fictional character gives you fitness inspiration?

1 comment:

Timothy S. Brannan said...

Xena! I LOVED Xena. Just great stuff.

Fictional character that inspires fitness? Batman. He can go toe to toe with supers. So if he can train to do that certainly I could loose a few pounds.

--
Tim Brannan, The Other Side Blog
2015 A to Z of Vampires
http://theotherside.timsbrannan.com/

Fun

I write like
Arthur Conan Doyle

I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!

I write like
Mark Twain

I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!